Cookies on the PokerWorks Website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the PokerWorks website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.

Continue using cookies

Poker News | PokerWorks Op-Ed

Poker Pundit - Jeremy “Chipsteela” Menard - More Action from the PCA

Share this
A blog of sorts, a story to be told, the true depth of poker is about to unfold:

When I left off I had just finished day 1 of the PokerStars Caribbean Adventure with around 50k in chips. There were a few questionable spots on the way to the end of the day that I may have been able to gamble to finish with even more chips, but after discussing the hands with some friends it was agreed that I chose the best options. Sadly these options didn’t leave me with more chips.

There was one hand in particular worth noting near the end of the day where I flopped top pair-top kicker in a four way pot with A-Qo on a Q-T-6 flop with two spades. The action preflop began with a raise from UTG, a call from UTG+1, I called on the button, and the big blind also flicked in the chips for a call. ‘

Post flop I called a bet of a little over half the pot from the player that opened the pot, not really looking to build a monster pot in this four handed situation.  I didn’t think my hand was strong enough to play for stacks with how deep we all were, and I also wanted to see what the other players in the hand did to get a better idea of where I was at in the hand. Too my surprise the player who had defended from the big blind put in a ridiculous check raise to around half his stack, about a 20k raise into a pot worth around 7200 at the time. This was a really weird spot because if he had a monster hand like a set of 6s or even top two pair I don’t think he would ever put in this big of a reraise, especially from how solid it seemed like he had been playing most of the day.

Given this flop it was very possible that he had some kind of combo draw that I would most likely be coin flipping with if I decided to get it in. Since we were very close to even in chips I would essentially be flipping for my tournament life if I was right, and if I was wrong then I would most likely be in very bad shape. Given these options, I decided to fold and look for a better spot to put my tournament life on the life in.

After we bagged and tagged our chips for the night, I went to dinner with the West Virginia crew including Hixx, Herdgolf, and SteveyMoney. Yes they do have the internet in West Virginia. We hit up Carmines for a family style Italian dinner, and believe it or not I ended up losing credit card roulette against 5 other guys for a sum of $400. Given my history I should probably just swear off this game all together, but it’s all about the long run people. I’ve got some serious rungood stored up from CCR, I can’t just quit now and let it all go to waste. After dinner I decided to degen with my roommate and some other friends in the blackjack pits, something I rarely do as I consider these tables games at casinos to be the devil. I made a few hundo, and then it was back to the room for some shitty room service before finally getting to bed around 5 am.

The next day my fiancé flew in, and we were both pleasantly surprised as our room had been upgraded to a sick ass suite. This room was decked out with a living room, a humongous bedroom, master bath, and even an ocean view. After we put our stuff up we decided to try to make the most of the shitty weather the Bahamas was having. Though it was 55 degrees and windy, we still could enjoy tropical drinks at the pool bar and pretend it was actually nice out. This is when I made the biggest mistake of the entire trip, as I decided to order a crab salad sandwich at the sketchy pool bar. If you guys don’t remember anything else from these blogs, remember this, never, ever order a crab salad sandwich from a sketchy pool bar. I’ll explain why later.

Later on that night my fiancé and I met up with some friends for dinner at one of the nicest restaurants in the resort called the Bahamian Club. One particular friend had been drinking non-stop that day, which was fairly obvious as he showed up to dinner basically shit-faced. He continued to spiral downward as we were all talking and having a good time waiting for the food to arrive. When the food did get there he somehow managed to take no more than 3 bites and then proceeded to pass out completely in his chair. This created an absolutely hilarious scene as we all took turns taking pictures next to our incapacitated friend who had no idea what was going on. We even got the waiters to get in on the action. It was pretty epic to say the least.

Like my drunken buddy, I also only had a few bites of my meal, but this was for completely different reasons as I had started to have a sick feeling come over me. I fought the feeling for as long as I could, but after a few bites of my expensive dinner I knew that something was wrong. After hanging around for the pictures, and watching as the others tried to help the drunken mess out of the restaurant, I grabbed my fiancé and made a beeline back to the room. I also had planned to do a podcast with a friend who works for Pocket Fives, David Huber, that night to explain the PCA experience for those listening in and help answer some questions asked on the forums.

I made it home just in time to puke my guts out and then pick up the phone when he called. You know how sometimes you feel a lot better after getting sick, well this was definitely the case as I got this false sense that I was out of the woods for the next hour. I went over my day of poker with David and also talked about some other stuff including my work as a coach on the poker training site  You can check out the podcast on if you’re interested.

After all the excitement was over it was definitely time to hit the sack as I still had to sleep off whatever I was fighting and also play poker tomorrow. I had barely laid my head on the pillow when I had an overwhelming feeling that it was going to be a very long night. That it was, as I spent the rest of the night huddled on the floor of the bathroom clearing my body of basically everything I had eaten during the past week. Finally around 7 AM the next day I was able to get to sleep for a little bit. I then woke up around 12:30 PM, only problem was that the tournament started at 12 PM that day. At this time I honestly didn’t care, I basically had no energy left in my body but I decided that I had to play regardless. So I jumped in the shower, got dressed and hoped that I would somehow manage to make it through the day without throwing up on someone. It was clearly going to be a long day. Now you see why I said never to eat the crab salad sandwich earlier?

Check back next time to see which world renowned poker player I unleashed my food poisoning fury on during day 2 of the PCA, if that did actually happen. Until then, don’t eat the crab salad sandwich!

Part I

Study poker with Jeremy “Chipsteela” Menard at

News Flash

The IRS Scores Big at 2015 WSOP ME Final Table

The IRS managed to snag 34.13 percent from the payouts of the 2015 November Nine, totaling $8,467,091.

Read more

Quick Room Review

Bonus Room review

Subscribe to the Nightly Turbo

Be the first to know all the latest poker news, tournament results, gossip and learn all about the best online poker deals straight from your inbox.

RSS Feed