Cookies on the PokerWorks Website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the PokerWorks website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.

Continue using cookies

Poker News | Casino Poker | News

Counterfeit chip investigation in Borgata $2M guarantee event - UPDATED

Share this

The Borgata Winter Open $2 Million Guarantee event was suspended on Friday for 24 hours after discovering that the tournament was "compromised."

"We have reason to believe the tournament was compromised," Joe Lupo, Senior Vice President of Operations for Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa said. "There's nothing more important than ensuring the integrity of the tournament. All other tournaments are moving forward with full confidence."

Lupo said tournament officials and the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement (NJDGE) should find a resolution after a 24-hour hour investigation.

Lisa Spengler, a spokeswoman for the NJDGE, told The Associated Press that her agency and the New Jersey State Police "are aware of a situation involving counterfeit chips."

Allard Broedelet led the field of 27 that were left in the tournament with more than 10 percent of the chips in play — 10.315 million chips. A total prize pool of $2,407,000 grew from the 4,812 that played in the event. So far 423 players hit the cashier after busting in the money, earning a minimum of $1,082. Play was scheduled to start at noon on Friday before the tournament was compromised.

An update from at 4:36 p.m. EST: Lupo added the following to his previous statement:

We are confident in proceeding with all other events in the Winter Poker Open and play will continue as scheduled.

We deeply regret any inconvenience or concern this causes our players. We are determined to investigate this incident thoroughly, and will work with law enforcement to prosecute any illegal activity to the fullest extent of the law in the event any findings are discovered."

EDIT: 11:20 1.18.14: An update just in from states that no charges have been filed in the case but the tournament has been cancelled.

"Thus far, investigators have found that one or more tournament entrants improperly introduced a significant number of counterfeit chips into the tournament, gaining an unfair advantage and compromising the integrity of play for the event," Tom Ballance, the Borgata's president and chief operating officer said Saturday.

The Borgata is currently examining their stock of chips and the other events in the poker tournament will be played as scheduled.

The entry fee paid by players to the compromised tournament is in the hands of the Borgata since the state ordered "that all unpaid prize money be held in trust until more details and resolution can be determined."

Follow PokerWorks on Twitter! And like us on Facebook to stay updated with poker news, events, and promotions.

News Flash

The IRS Scores Big at 2015 WSOP ME Final Table

The IRS managed to snag 34.13 percent from the payouts of the 2015 November Nine, totaling $8,467,091.

Read more

Quick Room Review

Bonus Room review

Subscribe to the Nightly Turbo

Be the first to know all the latest poker news, tournament results, gossip and learn all about the best online poker deals straight from your inbox.

RSS Feed