As long as there are two people still able to hold and deal a deck of cards, a game of poker will roll on through eternity. The rules may change, new formats may be added, but one thing is certain, the players will eventually always change. One of the most noticeable names in poker missed the Main Event of the World Series of Poker this year. If you don't know who that was, read on.
Amaya Gaming's Next Multi-billion Dollar Operation
After the purchase of PokerStars and Full Tilt Poker by Amaya Gaming Group back in June, the Canadian gambling giant is considering the New York or London stock exchange for a second listing — the company has a primary listing on the Toronto stock exchange.
Online poker players in the United States are waiting impatiently for both PokerStars and Full Tilt Poker to reenter the market, while Amaya CEO David Baazov believes the inclusion of the two market leaders to Amaya Gaming will lead to "a global online gaming powerhouse in a large and growing online gaming market."
2014 World Series of Poker Main Event
The World Series of Poker is winding down. The Main Event is on day 2AB and the crazy, insane rush that is the world's biggest poker festival is over for many. In a few hands it will be time to bag and tag for the night. At this point it's anyone's game!
The field is still filled with big names players and superstars after four days of play — and many of the same have already left the Rio...the series is over for them.
Some fun facts and figures furnished by WSOP.com
- WHEN: July 5 – July 14, 2014; November 10-11 – Final Nine
- WHERE: Rio All-Suite Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas
- EVENT #: 65
- BUY IN AMOUNT: $10,000
- PRIZE POOL: $62,820,200
- FIRST PLACE PRIZE: $10,000,000
- NUMBER OF ENTRANTS: 6,683 (Main Event)
- PLACES PAID: 693 (Earns $18,405)
- VALUE OF CHIPS IN PLAY: 200,490,000 (Players start with 30,000 in chips)
- PHYSICAL # CHIPS IN PLAY: 210,000
- # OF DEALERS UTILIZED: 1,165
- # OF DECKS OF CARDS: 1,624
- UNIQUE COUNTRIES: 83
- AVERAGE AGE: 39.28
- OLDEST PLAYER: William Wachter, Carmel, NY, USA – 93 years old (Flight 1B)
- YOUNGEST PLAYER: Zachary Zaffos, Weston, FL, USA – 21 years, 1 day (Flight 1C)
- MALE PARTICIPANTS: 6,403
- FEMALE PARTICIPANTS: 282
- NOTABLE 2014 CELEBRITIES: UFC Announcer Bruce Buffer, Movie director (Notebook) Nick Cassavetes, French actor and singer Patrick Bruel, actor Justin Henry (Kramer vs. Kramer), Model Triana Iglesias, NBA star Paul Pierce, Spain World Cup/FC Barcelona soccer player and singer Shakira’s boyfriend Gerard Pique actor and comedian Kevin Pollak, Curb Your Enthusiasm producer Gavin Polone, professional soccer player John Arne Riise, actor and comedian Ray Romano, former NFL defensive star Richard Seymour, actress Jennifer Tilly, cricket superstar Shane Warne, NASCAR driver Jason White, actor James Woods.
Check out this beauty:
Bracelet image supplied by WSOP.com.
The Works at PokerWorks
Ready to dig into the world of dealing poker? You know the one we're talking about — The View from the Box! The latest edition is up here. Don't be shy in reading up on the 11th seat at the table...who knows, you may need a job someday and the information on those pages can start your education before you apply.
Head over to the World Series of Poker news section at PokerWorks to catch up with a list of winners to date.
If you're in Las Vegas this weekend, go directly to Binion's Gambling Hall and Saloon to help make the Downtown Chad Brown Memorial & Poker Tournament bigger than life. More information here.
Ready for some hot online poker action that has $50,000 in Freerolls waiting? Of course you are! Visit here for more information on how to take a seat.
Doyle Brunson sits out 2014 WSOP Main Event
One of the best parts of playing poker is being able to sit down at a table of complete strangers and build your lists of social contacts with each adventure...or not...but the option is always available if you have a buy-in and there's a seat open.
Many players have become poker icons and the masses know more about the icon's life history and background than they do about their own friends and family. So it is with Doyle Brunson, a true poker legend, that has been in the game professionally for over 50 years. Doyle tweeted that he would not play the Main Event of the WSOP this year and he didn't.
TexDolly Doyle Brunson
To everybody who keeps asking...I'm not playing the Main Event. Hours are just too damn long.#oldpokerplayersneverdiet heyjustfadeaway 2014-07-05
Grab the box of tissues because in our thoughts, this is the end of a chapter in Doyle's poker career. Nope, we don't believe that Doyle will give up playing WSOP events or high-stakes cash games at Bellagio, but we believe (as we look in the mirror each day after crawling out of bed and trying to stretch the kinks out of bodies that refuse to stay trim, limber, and wrinkle free as we go through aging in the 'golden years') that the days of poker past are upon many of us.
The curtain fell on "Texas Dolly's" WSOP Main Event this year. *Sniff* Another box of tissues please.
Doyle Brunson image courtesy of Barry Jazz Finnegan.